Living DNA provides genetic testing for genealogy (ancestry) purposes. The raw DNA data from a Living DNA test can be used with the DNA analysis apps and reports in Sequencing’s DNA Report Marketplace. We have a wide range of DNA analysis apps that can transform your Living DNA data into straightforward guidance for health, wellness, nutrition, fitness, data exploration, deep ancestry and much more.
If you’ve used Living DNA, you can easily import your Living DNA genetic data directly into your account at Sequencing.com. Once imported, you’ll be able to use your data with our apps.
- Sign into your Sequencing.com account and go to the DNA Upload Center.
- If you don’t have a Sequencing.com account, click here to import your Living DNA data and register for a Sequencing.com account at the same time.
- Click the ‘Living DNA’ button under ‘Import from Laboratory.’
- Enter the email address and password for your Living DNA account.
- A File Import Progress page will appear that will allow you to monitor the progress of securely importing your DNA data from Living DNA.
- Sign in to your LivingDNA account.
- Click ‘View Test’.
- Click ‘Download Raw Data’ located on the left side of the page.
- Scroll down and click the box located under the Consent section.
- The buttons to download your raw genetic data files will appear. Click each button to download that file.
- If the data is from a genetic female, there will be two files to download (family ancestry and motherline).
- If the data is from a genetic male, there will be three files to download (family ancestry, motherline, and fatherline).
- If you have two or more tests in your Living DNA account, click ‘My Tests’ in the header of the page and repeat Steps 2-5.
- After all files for each test are downloaded to your computer, go to our DNA Upload Center.
- Choose the upload option under ‘Upload from My Computer’, select the file you just downloaded from Living DNA and click ‘Upload’.
- Repeat for all files downloaded from your Living DNA account.
- Your Living DNA files will be securely uploaded into your Sequencing.com account.
The DNA testing company Living DNA provides DNA tests to consumers. A DNA sample is collected using the DNA testing kit.
Inside of the kit is a collection test tube with instructions on how to collect a DNA sample by way of the cheek swab. The collection process is quite simple using a cotton swab to wipe the inside of the cheek, which is similar to the collection process 23andMe, AncestryDNA, and Family Tree DNA uses. DNA results take four to six weeks.
DNA testing kits can be purchased on the Living DNA website or on Amazon.
Living DNA is based in the UK. David Nicholson is Living DNA’s CEO.
Living DNA specializes in family ancestry and they also provide wellness information in their autosomal DNA test results.
Ancestry information identifies individuals haplogroup, which are ancestors that trace back to a single individual.
Y-DNA which focuses on the y chromosome produces information about the paternal lineage and that is included in Living DNA’s ancestry test. For instance, an example of an ancestry test result may identify the British Isles as a location where an individual’s fatherline originated.
mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA) is the maternal line or motherline and this is also included in the Living DNA ancestry kit. The DNA testing company offers specific DNA tests for people around the world, such as their British Ancestry DNA testing kit for people whose ancestors were from the United Kingdom.
Living DNA’s family networks can be useful for genetic genealogy research for completing family trees or simply learn more about a family’s past.
The information gathered from Living DNA can be used to understand migration patterns and develop a migration map that includes sub-regions thanks to the regional breakdown of a person’s ancestry. The health test offered by livingdna.com can provide some insight into possible genetic medical conditions, but a more comprehensive DNA test should be performed for detailed information about genetic disease risk.
Other DNA testing companies, such as MyHeritage also offer ancestry and wellbeing kits. The amount of information derived from these kits is often satisfactory for the general population. For instance, it can inform people they may have an Irish background. Depending on the DNA analysis and database on the site, it may also be able to match common ancestors to other members. However, that is not always possible if the database on the site isn’t comprehensive enough.
People who seek a robust amount of data should consider a DNA test kit that can collect sufficient DNA for whole-genome sequencing. With more of the genome sequenced, it’s possible to discover more about a person’s family history AND health. Genealogists often turn to more comprehensive genetic testing as they attempt to gather as much information as possible with matching DNA worldwide.
Living DNA is the first step in learning more about your genetics. After receiving the DNA data and standard analysis report, Living DNA customers can download their raw data and upload it to Sequencing.com for additional DNA analysis.
Sequencing’s DNA App Store has several apps available (some even free) that will analyze your data from Living DNA. This will give you much more information and value from your purchase through their company.
For those who are still considering Living DNA’s testing kit, it may be worthwhile to also consider Sequencing.com’s DNA testing services. The Ultimate DNA test is only $69 while also obtaining 50x more data about your genome. The Whole Genome Sequencing service sequences the entire genome, including all 30,000 genes and all chromosomes including the entire Y chromosome and MT (mitochondrial) chromosome. This genome sequencing service provides 5,000x more data than the DNA tests offered by Living DNA, 23andMe, and similar companies.
Explore the DNA tests available from Sequencing.com including a number of free DNA reports, which are located in the ‘Free’ category of our DNA App Store.Upload Living DNA Data
Living DNA is a registered trademark of Living DNA Ltd. The use of the name and logo is for compatibility information only and does not imply approval or endorsement of Sequencing.com by Living DNA Ltd.