Assistance obtaining genetic data
We can help! Sequencing.com provides free assistance to help you obtain your genetic data.
If you meet the following criteria and would like our assistance, please submit a Support Request.
- You or a family member has had a genetic test.
- You or a family member have attempted to obtain the genetic testing file (the 'raw data') from the lab that conducted the testing but have been unable to.
Many countries, including the USA, require laboratories to provide a person with access to the raw genetic data from the person's genetic test.1 Most countries also require the laboratory to store the results of a test, such as a person's raw genetic data, for many years.
The raw data file is different from a genetic report.
- Raw data files are unprocessed or minimally processed genetic data.
- Common file types for raw data files are: FASTA, FASTQ, BAM, SAM, VCF, XLS, CSV and TXT
- Genetic reports are an interpretation of the genetic data.
- Common file types for genetic report files are: PDF, DOC, DOCX
While you may upload, store and share both raw data files and genetic reports, only raw data files can be used to power apps. This is why it's important to obtain (from the laboratory that conducted the genetic testing) the raw genetic data file and the genetic report.
1Federal law in the United States mandates that a person has the right to obtain the results of laboratory testing directly from the laboratory. This means that if you request it, the laboratory that performed your genetic testing is required by law to provide you with your genetic data.
Storage is free, unlimited and private. You own your genetic data - we keep it safe and never sell or share it.
If you have small files or if you already have your files stored with a cloud provider:
- Use the Upload Center
- Upload files smaller than 100 MB
- Import files of any size from AWS, Google Cloud, Google Drive, Azure, Dropbox, etc.
If you have many files or if your files are large and stored on your computer or server:
Don't have genetic data? No worries! You can still use Sequencing.com to learn and discover.
Use free sample data to experience our apps and discover just how useful genetic data can be.
Get genetic testing
Our list of preferred providers will help you decide which genetic testing service to use. Each preferred provider is pre-screened by Sequencing.com and verified to provide highly reputable genetic testing.