Your kit will also come with the instructions included right in the box. Please make sure to activate your kit to connect it to your account and be able to retrieve your results when complete.
*Important! Do not brush your teeth, use mouthwash, eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum for at least 60 minutes before you collect your sample. Gently rise your mouth with water 30 minutes before using this kit. Failure to follow these instructions may cause contamination and prevent your DNA from being sequenced. Do not collect your sample while you are sick.
- Activate your kit at sequencing.com/activate. Next, place the unopened swabs and the vial on a clean, level surface. Remove the first swab from it’s package.
- With the first swab, firmly scrape and rotate inside one cheek for 60 seconds. Cover the entire inside of the cheek. Follow these instructions carefully to prevent your sample from failing!
- Pick up the vial and hold steady in one hand. Remove cap and insert the first swab. Slowly twist the first swab into the vial with a corkscrew motion. There will be resistance, but push the swab all the way to the bottom.
- Hold the vial steady and move the swab up and down inside the tube 20-30 times without moving the swab out of the liquid.
- Hold vial firmly and remove the swab by slowly twisting out with a corkscrew motion. Discard the first swab, you will no longer need it. Do NOT place the swab in the biohazard bag. Repeat the process with the second swab on other side of cheek.
- Both swabs must be used to sequence your sample. Secure the cap on the vial and place the vial into the bioharzard bag. Instert the biohazard bag with the vial into the padded return envelope. Make sure the envelope is completely sealed.