How To Upload Your National Geographic Data
It's easy to access, upload, and use your National Geographic DNA data.
About National Geographic's The Genographic Project
National Geographic provided a DNA testing service called The Genographic Project. The results were a genetic report on a person's ancestry and genealogy purposes. Testing for Nat Geo was first performed by Gene By Gene, a laboratory in Houston, Texas, and then it was switched to Helix, a laboratory in San Diego, CA. As of 2020, the Nat Geo test is no longer available.
A great alternative to the National Geographic DNA test is Sequencing's Ultimate DNA Test. This test obtains 50x more data than the Nat Geo test and also costs less (only $69!). Your data is also protected by our transparent Privacy First Policy.
Raw DNA Data from National Geographic
If you have your raw DNA test data from Nat Geo, you can upload it to your Sequencing account and use it with the DNA analysis apps in our DNA App Store. This will allow you to obtain DNA reports using your existing data from The Genographic Project.
Alternatives To National Geographic's DNA Test
There are several great alternatives to the genetic testing that used to be offered by National Geographic. We provide a comparison of DNA tests that includes side-by-side information from the most popular testing services. We also provide a comprehensive MyHeritage review.
You may also be interested in learning about the advantages of whole genome sequencing, which is a more advanced type of genetic test compared to what Nat Geo used to offer.
Upload DNA data from National Geographic's The Genographic Project
- Sign-in to your Genographic Project account.
- Sign in by entering your username and password for your Genographic Project account
- After you sign in to your Genographic Project account, click on the icon of the person in the top right of your screen and then click on the 'My Profile' option.
- In the 'Raw Genetic Data Terms of Service' section check the box 'I agree to these terms.' and then click the Submit button.
- Near the top of the page in the 'My Test Results' section click 'My Raw Genetic Data File' that should appear in the 'Download Genetic Results' column
- A CSV file containing your genetic data will be downloaded to your computer.
- If you have two or more tests in your account, repeat Steps 3-5.
- After all files for each test are downloaded to your computer, go to the Upload Center at Sequencing.com.
- Choose the upload option under 'Upload from My Computer', select the file you just downloaded from National Geographic, and click 'Upload'.
- Repeat for all files downloaded from your National Geographic account.
- Your Nat Geo DNA Test data will appear in your Sequencing account within 15 minutes.
Congratulations! You can now use your NatGeo DNA data with the wide-range of DNA analysis apps in our DNA App Store.
Storage is free, unlimited and private. You own your genetic data - we keep it safe and never sell or share it.
If you have small files or if you already have your files stored with a cloud provider:
- Use the Upload Center
- Upload files smaller than 100 MB
- Import files of any size from AWS, Google Cloud, Google Drive, Azure, Dropbox, etc.
If you have many files or if your files are large and stored on your computer or server:
Don't have genetic data? No worries! You can still use Sequencing.com to learn and discover.
Use free sample data to experience our apps and discover just how useful genetic data can be.
Get genetic testing
Our list of preferred providers will help you decide which genetic testing service to use. Each preferred provider is pre-screened by Sequencing.com and verified to provide highly reputable genetic testing.