National Geographic provided a DNA testing service called The Genographic Project. The test provided a genetic report on a person’s ancestry and genealogy. Testing for Nat Geo was first performed by Gene By Gene, a laboratory in Houston, Texas, and then it was switched to Helix, a laboratory in San Diego, CA. As of 2020, the Nat Geo test is no longer available.
A great alternative to the National Geographic DNA test is Sequencing’s Ultimate DNA Test. This test obtains 50x more data than the Nat Geo test and also costs less (only $69!). Your data is also protected by our transparent Privacy First Policy.
If you’ve taken a DNA test from Nat Geo, learn how to download your DNA data file and then upload your data to third-party sites. These sites include DNA apps and reports that can analyze your raw DNA data and provide you with additional gene-based information, such as insights on health and wellness.
If you have your raw DNA test data from Nat Geo, you can upload it to your Sequencing account and use it with the DNA analysis apps in our DNA App Store. This will allow you to obtain DNA reports using your existing data from The Genographic Project.
There are several great alternatives to the genetic testing that used to be offered by National Geographic. We provide a comparison of DNA tests that includes side-by-side information from the most popular testing services. We also provide a comprehensive MyHeritage review.
You may also be interested in learning about the advantages of whole genome sequencing, which is a more advanced type of genetic test compared to what Nat Geo used to offer.
- Sign-in to your Genographic Project account.
- Sign in by entering your username and password for your Genographic Project account
- After you sign in to your Genographic Project account, click on the icon of the person in the top right of your screen and then click on the ‘My Profile’ option.
- In the ‘Raw Genetic Data Terms of Service’ section check the box ‘I agree to these terms.’ and then click the Submit button.
- Near the top of the page in the ‘My Test Results’ section click ‘My Raw Genetic Data File’ that should appear in the ‘Download Genetic Results’ column
- A CSV file containing your genetic data will be downloaded to your computer.
- If you have two or more tests in your account, repeat Steps 3-5.
- After all files for each test are downloaded to your computer, go to the DNA Upload Center.
- Choose the upload option under ‘Upload from My Computer’, select the file you just downloaded from National Geographic, and click ‘Upload’.
- Repeat for all files downloaded from your National Geographic account.
- Your Nat Geo DNA Test data will appear in your Sequencing account within 15 minutes.
Congratulations! You can now use your NatGeo DNA data with the wide range of DNA analysis apps in our DNA App Store.