Determine the effect of genetic variants
The Variant Effect Predictor app provides information about the effect of genetic variants on genes, regulatory regions, transcripts and protein sequences. It is designed for whole genome sequencing (WGS) and exome sequencing data.
$19.99 per use
Frequently Asked Questions
1) I used this app. How can I view the results?
This app currently generates a compressed vcf file (vcf.gz). To view the results, the file must be downloaded and opened on your computer.
Good news: We're already working on a better solution! In July 2017 we'll be releasing an update to this app that will allow you to view and search your results online without the need to download any files.
To view the contents of the vcf.gz file:
1) Download the file
2) Decompress the file. This can be accomplished by double-clicking on the file once it is downloaded to your computer.
3) View the file by opening it with either TextEditor or Excel. TextEditor is preferred as Excel may take a while to open the file.
2) Are there any other similar apps?
Yes, there are two similar apps: Genome Overview and EvE Free
Instructions for Genome Overview
1. Add Genome Overview to your account and then start the app (it's free)
2. Select your genetic data file
3. Click Submit
Once the Genome Overview app finishes processing your file, you'll receive an email with a link to the results. The results will include information about your genetic data as well as a searchable on-screen table called 'Details By Gene'. This table provides information that is similar to the information generated by the Variant Effect Predictor app.
Instructions for EvE Free
1) Add the EvE Free app to your account and then start the app
2) Select your genetic data file
3) For 'Select Target Format' choose "annotated vcf"
4) For 'Select Interpretation' choose "Both ClinVar Report & ClinVar Annotation"
5) Do not modify 'Select Reference Genome'. Leave it as the default "Autodetect"
6) Click Submit
Once Eve Free finishes processing your file, you'll receive an email with a link to the results. The results will include a searchable on-screen table that provides information about the impact of variants found within your genetic data file.
McLaren W, Pritchard B, Rios D, Chen Y, Flicek P, Cunningham F. (2010) Deriving the consequences of genomic variants with the Ensembl API and SNP Effect Predictor. Bioinformatics 26(16):2069-70 doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btq330